Get it Done Right
Flat roofing is a very specialized type of roof that requires a skilled and certified installer. Installation of a tar and gravel, torch-on roof or other membrane type must be done by an experienced roofer.
A flat roof isn’t ideal for the harsh Calgary climates as it doesn’t shed rain or snow like a sloped roof. That means a poorly installed system will experience leaks or in the worst case, collapse. You don’t want either of those situations so you need the best flat roofers in Calgary. You need Calgary roofing company, Claw Roofing.
Modified Bitumen (Mod-Bit) Membrane
Modified bitumen membranes (or mod-bit) provide unparalleled reliability and serviceability. There are two kinds of modified bitumen systems; SBS (Styrene Butadiene Styrene) systems which can be applied with cold adhesives, hot asphalt, or torch-applied and APP (Atactic Polypropylene) systems, which are almost exclusively torch-applied. This type of roofing is sometimes referred to as a torch-on roof.
Mod-bit systems provide several advantages including:
- Durable and flexible in extreme weather – expands and contracts with the building
- Easily maintained and repaired
- Ease of install and factory quality controls
- Wide variety of surface treatments to resist UV rays, reflect heat and match any décor
- Reduced long term costs and garbage load due to multiple cap layers
- Peace of mind that only a two or three ply system can provide
Built-Up Roofing Membrane
Tar and Gravel Roofing
Built-up roofs are essentially manufactured on site. They consist of multiple layers or plies of various felts (providing redundancy) that are adhered with layers of hot or cold asphalt. Built-up roofs have the longest proven history of effective performance, provide easy maintenance and repair and are very resistant to the elements as long as drainage concerns are addressed.
Addressing drainage issues can reduce building weight loads and help get the maximum lifespan from your roof membrane. It also helps prevent moisture infiltration in the event of membrane failure. We can measure and design a package that can address your drainage issues. Drainage issues can be addressed through the installation of a tapered deck, custom tapered insulation packages, or changes in drainage type or location.
Single Ply Roofing Membrane
Adhesive and Hot-Air Welded Systems
Single-ply systems provide a cost-effective solution appropriate for both new and re-roof projects. The three most common single-ply systems are EPDM, PVC, and TPO as described below:
- EPDM (Ethlyene Propylene Diene Monomer) offers proven reliability. It is installed with adhesive and glued seams.
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is especially resistant to chemicals and solvents and is therefore suitable to buildings where these exposures are likely. It is installed with hot-air welded seams.
- TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin) the newest of the single-ply systems. It is installed with hot-air welded seams.
These systems consist of a vapour barrier, rooftop insulation and the single layer membrane. They can be installed in a number of ways from loose-laid and ballasted to fully adhered thus providing solutions for most building types. The availability of many roll sizes and the ease of application allow for large areas of roof to be completed in short periods of time providing cost-effective options.